Sunday, March 20, 2011

We're SICK of this!

Yes...we're certainly sick of this....we're sick of being SICK! UGH...yup, we're sick. First, little Brooklyn got sick. We had her 1 year well child visit on Tuesday the 8th & then on Thursday the 10th she got sick. I just knew it was NOT an ear infection because we were just in getting her checked out & she didn't say anything about Brooke having an ear infection.

So she got a runny nose, congestion, cough, & just sick-looking eyes. The poor baby looked horrible. She had a fever off & on...highest it got to was 104.6. DISLIKE!! So the poor kid was getting medicine around the clock.


Sick little baby - fell asleep on daddy
On Tuesday (5 days of being sick) I called Dr. Bauer's office & spoke with Mim, one of his nurses. We got some antibiotics for her to take for a week before surgery, just to be on the safe side. Thankfully it's strawberry flavored so she doesn't mind it!

On Wednesday (6 days of Brooklyn being sick) I woke up with a horrible sore throat. It actually woke me up in the middle of the night...it hurt so bad. My mom had strep exactly a week ago so I figured that's what I had. I decided to stop in my work & get a rapid strep test done just to be on the safe side. By the time we left the house I was convinced that it wasn't strep. I felt fine...I just had a sore throat. And I was starting to get a runny nose...oh & I was sneezing so much you'd have thought I was one of the 7 Dwarfs. But we went in anyways & the Nurse Practitioner that I work with, Sharon, was there & she looked in my ears & did a rapid strep test. (I still feel bad for coughing on her....darn gag reflexes!!! LOL)  Thankfully, like I'd thought, the strep was negative, but I had some fluid in my ears. UGH...I'm getting sick. So since the girls were with me she just decided to check their ears too. Cali's left was fine but her right was in the beginning stages of an infection...but still not bad enough to do meds. (So I let our family doctor know that my mom may be bringing her in this week!!) Then she checked Brooklyn's ears & what do you know....left was fine but the right ear had an infection. SERIOUSLY!?!? Surgery is just 8 days away & she has an ear infection? You're kidding me!! She was already on antibiotics for about 25 hours at that point so we didn't need to do anything else. She said that the antibiotic she was on takes 48 hours to work, so she wanted me to bring her in 2 days later, on Friday, to have the doctor I work for take a peek at her & make sure the antibiotics were working. I called Dr. Bauer's office & Mim said that it's a different story when you're taking the expanders out, as opposed to putting them in. She said that when you're putting them in, obviously, a foreign body is going in so you don't want them to be sick at all...not even a sniffle. But when you're getting them out they can have a slight runny nose or congestion, just not a cough...because they're coming out! Whew...ok so as long as this ear infection & cough get cleared up then we're good to go for surgery.

Probably the worst thing about her being sick is that she doesn't sleep. We were already having sleeping problems with her so this just added to that. I think that maybe her expanders are just so big that she gets uncomfortable...who knows. But being sick certainly didn't help any! Over the past week & a half we maybe would be getting 2-3 hours a night. It wasn't fun. Then, all of a sudden Dustin realized that she sleeps the best in our recliner. So Thursday night (when she'd been sick a week), Dustin slept with her for the first third of the night, then came in & put her in bed with us. Of course for that second 1/3 of the night she wasn't sleeping, so for about the last third of the night I went in with her...& she slept so soundly. So the next night we weren't doing it anymore....Dustin slept with her in the chair the entire night. She slept from 11pm until we woke her up at 8am!!!

Unfortunately for me...I did end up getting sick. "Congestion" is an understatement. I didn't really feel all that horrible, but I just couldn't breathe cause I was so plugged up. All I could think was that I hope this goes away by the time we fly. I'd flown once before when I was sick (I was probably a teenageer still)...& it hurt so bad that I still remember it! So I wanted to avoid that, obviously!

On Friday I was working, so my mom brought the girls in & they were looked at by the doctor I work for, since our doctor doesn't work on Friday's. She checked my ears again & they were totally cleared...yay, but I was still sick! She gave me a 3-day antibiotic to take (bless her) to hopefully avoid some furthering complications. She checked Brooklyn's right ear - completely cleared. But her left ear now has some fluid in it. Then she checked Cali's ears, just because, and sure enough.....DOUBLE EAR INFECTION. The silly girl didn't even act sick. She had just started with a runny nose, but that was it. So she got an antibiotic too. Then she asked about Dustin. He hasn't shown any signs or symptoms of being sick, but just incase, she called in an antibiotic for him too. So that day, Brooklyn was already on an antibiotic, & then Cali, Dustin, & I all got them too. Gotta love being sick.

I was very worried about Brooklyn flying with her illness, but she did great. She slept the entire first flight & then played the 2nd flight, until we started to land & then Dustin got her to sleep. I'd say she's at about 95%. She is back to her normal, playful, smily self, but still has a slight runny nose & cough.

Needless to say, we couldn't do the fill on Friday. I've been in close contact with Dr. Bauer's office & they said that if she's well enough early this week that we can go in the office & do a fill. So we'll see how tomorrow goes. I'd still like her ears checked out either way...just to make myself feel better!

As for Dustin...still fine. Here's to hoping & praying that he stays that way. Me, on the other hand...I'm still sick. But I'm slowly getting better. I'm still soooo congested. The flying didn't help in the least bit. But I'm feeling alright, so that's good. :)

More updates to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment