Monday, February 7, 2011

What a day!!!...and a birthday coming up!

First off...just 1 month from today...just 4 weeks from today...just 28 days from today.....BROOKLYN TURNS ONE!!!!!! It's not at all that I haven't enjoyed every minute we've spent with her, cause holy cow we certainly have. But I think that we've just been SO caught up in this whole nevus "thing" that her birthday has gotten here so FAST!!!!! I absolutely can't believe that it's here already. Just next week & I'll be getting the invites made & sent out! I can't believe how quickly it's come...and most of all, I can't believe that she's gonna be 1...I mean, she's just so darn small! Haha!

Ok and on to today. Wow...what a morning! First off, we got a call bright & early from my mom...at 7am! She said that she was starting to get a cough & wondered what to do. She's been coming over here to watch the girls when I have to work. Our supplier at work hasn't been there yet so I haven't gotten to order the masks yet and we didn't have any here at the house. Our "back-up" babysitter is out of town & I had to be at work cause my co-worker was gone & there's 2 providers there on Mondays. We had our fill-in nurse there but I still needed to be there since there were 2 providers. So basically we were 100% in a bind.

So once I fully woke up I realized that I'd gotten a couple masks to put in our office the other day. So I called her back & said to go by our office, right at 8am, get a mask, then come to our house. I'd be late, but at least Brooklyn wouldn't get sick. So my mom got to our house around 8:20am - mask in hand - & I left for work.

Can we say...HOLY SNOW BLIZZARDING STORM OF THE YEAR!!!!!! It was snowing so fast & so hard that I couldn't even see the road from our house. (Which is very visible from our house even when it's snowing on a "typical" day.) The wind was blowing horribly too, which caused major drifts even at 8am! I opened the garage door just to have snow POURING in. I left our driveway & headed down our gravel road, which the tracks from my mom coming just 5 mins prior, were totally blown away. I just took it slow & hoped that by driving on that road nearly everyday for the past 5-6 years gave me enough knowledge to remember where the road dropped off! I got on the main road & noticed that there was a very loud noise coming from the front of the car. Immediately I knew that it was cause so much snow had gotten on our mud flaps & they were rubbing against the tires. That's really what it sounded like. So I just took it slow...until it persisted & seemed to get slightly louder. I considered pulling over to kick the snow off, but I was already almost 1/2 hr late for work so I just kept going. I then realized that there was NO way that it could have been snow on the mud flaps cause I PARK IN THE GARAGE! Hmmmm....

So I got about 1/2 way to work & all of a sudden it hit me... Whenever we park in our garage, I'm on the right, & in order to get the 2 passenger side doors open fully I have to pull in to the garage & then crank the wheel to the left slightly. I've done this religiously every single time I pull in the garage.....EXCEPT for those few times that I know I won't have the girls with me. (Cause no needing the extra space on the passenger side if I'm not going to be opening those doors for the girls.) Makes sense, right?

So I pulled in the garage yesterday & knew that I wouldn't have the girls in the car this AM...I'd just be going to work cause my mom was coming over here to watch them. I remembered all this on my way to work this AM & remembered that when I pulled in the garage last night I pulled straight in; I didn't turn the wheel to the left. And what did I hear when I pulled straight in? CRACK!!!!!!!!!! There was a beer bottle that Dustin had dropped a while back & he hadn't cleaned up the glass! (Of course this is all his fault!!!) So yes....as I was driving to work this AM I realized a first had occurred for me....I had a flat tire. Well what on earth was I going to do in this weather?! I could have just stopped, but then what?! So I just continued on to work. I was already now more than 1/2 way there when I realized that it just HAD to be a flat. So I just went about 15-20mph the rest of the way to work.

I got there & could tell by my tracks that it was flat, then felt it & indeed....it was flat. I had gotten a phone call when I was just a block away from work from the nurse filling-in for us. The doctor I work for had told the other provider not to come in today, since she lives out of town & it would have been next to impossible for her to have gotten there. So there was no need for 2 nurses. She offered to stay so I could go home & take care of the girls so Brooklyn wouldn't get whatever my mom had. SUPER nice of her!! :)

I walked in to work, called Dustin, asked him what the heck I was supposed to do, then called the tire place. Oh and I guess a great thing to point out here is that we got 4 BRAND NEW tires on December 30th, then left for Chicago the next day! So these were 4 brand spankin new tires! :(  The tire people said they'd come up & put air in it...just to last me long enough to get to them so they could take a look at the tire. I started walking out the door & realized then that I locked my keys in the car! Ha! Thank goodness I'd locked them in the car before because I learned to keep a spare in my jacket, which I conveniently had on! ;)

The tire people said that my tire was completely shot cause I'd driven on it (even though my drive to work is literally 6 minutes). So they put a "rental" on it (LOL - "rental" tires) & the new one will be here Thursday, weather permitting. UGH!

What a morning! Thankfully everything went fine once I got home!

No comments:

Post a Comment