Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"I'm Drain Free!!"...& an awful set-back for our friends

We had a good day today. I had talked to Dr. Bauer's nurse Susan yesterday & we were supposed to continue with the drains just until this AM & if they were still draining just drops then they'd take them out today. I called her back today & she said to just come on in & they'd remove them...what a relief (for BOTH us & Brooklyn).

Last night was another bad night (well mainly super early this morning actually) cause Brooklyn kept pulling her dressing off her head....and YES she did have the restraints on. She's a clever little buggar! So it was definitely a relief to us & I'm sure she feels free now.

So we got to the office, got right in, & got those darn drains OUT!!! She didn't even flinch when they were pulled out...I was pleasantly surprised! We had a nice visit with Mim, Dr. Bauer's nurse & then we were on our way...drain free! We did have a little dressing on her head just for some slight oozing, but could take that off as soon as it stopped. We were going right to the mall for lunch as well so it was good that the dressing was on...cause her head was nasty!!!


Happy as a clam after her drains were out!
 We met the Moller's at the mall (our 3rd mall in just a few days)...but this mall was way more upscale!! I felt out of place wearing jeans! LOL  We had lunch & then the guys went to see True Grit. Amie & I took the girls to the play area, a big tree house, & sat there watching them drinking a Starbucks!


Cali playing at the big tree
 Oh...the best part of the day???? Finally finding a serve yourself frozen yogurt place!!!!! I've been looking for one of those places since we got here & couldn't find one anywhere. I just stumbled upon this one...& bought some immediately! LOL It was so darn amazing. Cali had her own too, which she also loved. (I'm teaching this kid well...) I will definitely be returning.

After letting the girls play for a while we started walking around, & the guys got done fairly soon after that. We decided that it was best that we leave cause Cali was starting to act up. She went in a shoe store & found the boots, took off her boots (cause they matched, of course), & added hers to the display, & then wanted to leave...THEN threw a fit when I tried to take her shoes & put them back on her. She was tired. Very...very...tired. We left & she was asleep literally even before we were out of the parking lot!

We got the most amazing dinner ever. I actually gave myself a stomach ache cause I was eating so fast. :)

....and then we got the bad news....

The Melton's had a tough time with Josh's sutures over the past few days. About 6 days after surgery it looked like one of his stitches popped open. They called the office but didn't really think anything of it since it was so small. Unfortunately though it continued to grow & grow...& now it's a hole big enough that you can see the actual expander through. :(  They just went home yesterday, remember. And now.....they are coming back tomorrow (Thursday) for surgery on Friday to remove both of the expanders. They will give him enough time to heal up & then can start the whole process over in May. If there's ANY possible good news from this, is that even with the small amount of fluid that he has in the expanders now, Dr. Bauer will be able to remove some of his nevus! So that is good, even from a horrible situation. I think I'm still in denial about it all cause they just went home yesterday! I can't even believe that this is happening to them. I feel SO horrible for them cause I can't do a darn thing about it. :(  So please keep them in your thoughts & prayers. This is definitely an eye-opener that anything can happen at any time.

As for us, Brooklyn had her first head-washing tonight & boy did she L-O-V-E it. She liked it SO much that she actually almost fell asleep as I was massaging her head. I gently rubbed over the stitches & she didn't even flinch, thank goodness. Once we got done & her hair dried I realized that we need to do it again cause all of her nevus hair is still sooooo greasy from all that Bacitracin. So another head-washing is in the works for tomorrow...

Laying there like a good girl getting her head washed...& boy did she ever LOVE it!
So that's our day. Tomorrow??? We're going to the Aquarium. The kids will absolutely love it & I'm pretty excited to see the expressions on their faces! Please remember to keep our friends the Melton's in your thoughts & prayers...

No comments:

Post a Comment